Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Because They Said So: Ep. 2

These posts are going to be rare until the school year starts, since they depend on my memory of things that happened over the last year.  Once I go back to working with the kids there’ll be more to work with.  But.  A conversation I had today reminded me of these two quotes from kids, and I can’t believe I forgot them in the first "Because They Said So" post.   

Backstory on this bad boy: 
So, I was also working for a progressive organization that does a ton of good stuff for New York.  One of the things we worked on (the main thing we were working on, really) was Fair Elections for NY (If you don’t know a lot about public financing of elections, you should check it out.  Good stuff.).  Anyway, at the end of the legislative session, we did a bit of civil disobedience, which led to arrests of 21 activists, myself included.  I was talking to one of the moms at work about it, and her six year old son overheard some of the conversation.  And so he interjected:

“Bye bye, Charlotte, you’re going to jail!”
Six year old boy.  In the funniest voice ever.  (Also, no worries.  He thinks the arrest didn’t happen, and we explained what a sit-in is.)

“He laughed when I lost knock-out, because he wanted revenge for when I beat him.  And revenge is NEVER okay!”
Nine year old boy, on why he hit another boy.  This was one of those moments where I had to try realllllly hard not to laugh.  This was legit the last thing I could have expected to hear.  My coworker, who overheard this whole thing, started cracking up, but she was a couple feet away and her laughter didn’t faze the kid.  I agree with the kid, revenge isn’t a good thing.  But to hear a little kid use this reasoning (especially with the incredibly serious tone he used) was hysterical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment