Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Because They Said So: Ep. 1

As I mentioned in my first post, I work with kids in the morning.  There were several times over the last year that the kids would do or say something either hilarious or enlightening (or both), and I’ve thought, “hey, if I ever woman up and actually start a blog, I should write about this.”  It’s not just things they say, but things I’ve noticed about them and take note of, or things they teach me about myself.  And as fun as the job is (getting paid to play kick ball?  Yes please.), I take it pretty seriously.  I’ve made it a point to be more conscious and mindful of my words and actions; I figure, for two hours a day these kids are around us and let’s be real, we all know they’re super observant and super impressionable.  That and I like to make sure we’re starting their days off on positive notes.  You know?

For this first post, I’m just going to list a few funny things kids have said to me or to my coworkers this year.  Enjoy.

“I hate boys.  They shouldn’t let boys go to school until we’re in high school.  They’re so annoying.”
“They’re annoying in high school, too, kid.”
“Yeah, but in high school they’ll be good looking!”
Nine year old girl.

Backstory on this next one:  I had a copy of Brothers Grimm stories that I’d read to some of the kids fairly frequently.  (Parents, I apologize if it caused nightmares.)  On this particular morning, we were reading Seven Ravens. (I like to think I’m intelligent, but I don’t remember if that’s supposed to be underlined, italicized, or put in quotation marks, and I don’t feel like looking it up.)  I had just finished reading the part where the father curses the sons and they turn to ravens, and then this gem of a reaction occurs:

“That was quite cruel of the father!  He could have at least wished they were dogs!”
Eight year old boy.  I get the kid’s sentiment, but it’s always hella funny to hear a kid say “quite.”  Also, dogs.

“She can’t be pregnant, there’s no ring on her finger!”  Also, there's no man, but I didn’t want to get into that conversation. 
Nine year old boy, responding to another boy who asked if I was pregnant because I said babies are precious.   

“There’s nothing bad about dating, Charlotte.  Nothing bad is going to happen if they sit at lunch together.”
Eight year old girl, upon hearing my objections to two seven year olds “dating.”


That’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment